What’s Next for Teofimo Lopez?
Source: Mikey Williams/ Top Rank
Teofimo Lopez shocked the boxing world on Tuesday, October 17, 2020, after displaying a masterclass performance against Vasily Lomachenkoto to secure the title WBA, IBF, and WBO lightweight championships. The 23-year-old now has a host of options as the 135 lbs division continues to show it is the most exciting weight class in boxing.
A few big names have come up for Lopez including Ryan Garcia and Devin Haney, both of whom would be young exciting fights. That being said, however, there has been some speculation on Garcia’s skill level and the fact that he is rumored to be fighting Manny Pacquiao in his next bout.
On the other hand, Haney looks to be the more realistic fight. Earlier this week on Mike Tyson’s “Hotboxin” podcast, Lopez and Haney exchanged words. Lopez’s father went on to say that a fight with Haney would likely be scheduled in April.
For this fight to take place a lot of things would need to happen. To begin with, Lopez already has a mandatory fight with lightweight George Kambosos Jr for the IBF belt. That bout looks less likely however as COVID could cause some difficulties in
Lopez making his way over to Australia for the bout.
Lopez’s father has made it clear that if his son is unable to make the fight due to travel restrictions, that he will fight Haney in April instead. Haney, 25-0, has the lightweight WBC belt and wants to unify the division.
While this fight seems as though it should be next for Lopez, his promoter has said otherwise. Bob Arum, of Top Rank, has stated that they plan to move ahead with the Kambosos fight before looking at anyone else.